Pages

Wednesday 27 February 2013

A House Divided Progress Update


In the weeks since I last posted I’ve made some progress with the first draft of A House Divided. My original intention was to have 50,000 words completed by Christmas, NaNoWriMo style, but the eye incident detailed below intervened and I was held back. I’ve now (finally!) hit that word count and as I've written the ideas for this story have inevitably continued to evolve. 

A House Divided was always intended to be ‘alternative history’ (after all, the byline is ‘This is not the story you know’—see the cover to the right) but if I bring my current crop of ideas to fruition the story is going to end up considerably more ‘alternative’ than I’d originally envisaged! As a result I’m going to take a short break from writing to do some research and clarify those  idea-germs  further… and decide whether I think this alternative is plausible enough to fly. Ultimately, I’m left with a choice: do I follow my instincts as a historian or a novelist?

In the meantime I'm going to return to The Invisible Infanta and investigate putting it onto a POD footing. I'm also hoping to offer it on Smashwords eventually (thus going beyond Amazon/Kindle) but I can't do that until late April, thanks to Kindle Select. 

My to-do list is therefore:
*Decide whether to use Lulu or Blurb. Any advice/comments on this gratefully received!
*Make changes to the draft to go with either/both. 
*Research the following: Manuel's Portugal, Maria de Trastamara's life after her marriage (if it should be available; very possibly not but that's what extrapolation is for), and try to discover more about Germaine de Foix, Ferdinand of Aragon's second wife...
...and let's not forget my kitchen renovation!

No comments:

Post a Comment